Pages

Monday, August 29, 2011

My FIRST Official Project!



Well my first project is complete!  I decided since I had a baby shower to go to today, I'd recreate this pin (to the left).  I wanted to do my own spin on this for Brittany and baby Charlotte.  I really wanted to utilize items that were on Brittany's registry so that I knew she would like and be able to use the items in this project.  To create this pin (which did not come with my instructions), I used the following items-

Receiving Blanket (1 out of the set of 4)
21 Diapers (of the 36 pack)
Rubber Bands of various sizes (which can be bought at Staples)
Ribbons
Foam Fun Paper (found in the children's craft aisle at Michael's)
Microsoft Word Clip Art Image of a Stork (since I can't really free hand a stork)
Glue Gun

For the left over diapers and receiving blankets, I bought a little gift bag to put those items in.

My first step was to cut our the stork.  I wanted to give him a little bit of depth, so after he was cut out, I hot glued him to the Foam Fun Paper and then cut that out.
Next, I rolled the diapers just like you would for a diaper cake and wrapped the rubber band around the wrapped diapers.  For those of you who haven't wrapped a diaper it's super easy (this was only my second time doing so).  You just rolled the top where the waistband is to the bottom.

I laid out the receiving blanket, which was already folded so nicely, and I started placing my rolled diapers in the blanket to get an idea of how many across I wanted to use.  I decided a pyramid with 6 on the bottom across would look best.  I then brought up the sides and thought this looked perfect!


For some stability with the diapers, I took off the top 3 rows so I was just left the bottom 3 rows that had, 6, 5, and 4 diapers. I took a large rubber band and wrapped it once around those rows.  I repeated this step with the top 3 rows, with a rubber band that was smaller.  I then stacked the two sets diapers on top of each other again and wrapped the whole thing in one larger rubber band.

Now it was time to assemble.  I lifted up both sides of the receiving blanket and wrapped a rubber band around the top.  I took my ribbons (one laying on top of the other) and covered the rubber band that was keeping the blanket together.


Before tying the bow, I made a slit in the Foam Fun Paper between the stork's body and the package it's holding so that the stork would look like it was carrying the diapers.  I wrapped the bow around the package and ta-da, I was done!




If I do say so myself, I am a tad partial to mine ;)

A couple of other updates as I have not blogged in a couple of days...
On Thursday, I did another workout I found on pinterest, which also kicked my butt a tad.  On Friday, I went thrifting with Erin and found 4 candle holders and a mason jar (that did not have its lid) at three different stores!  I am really excited to do that project down the road as I still have to find mason jars WITH lids and I need to buy spray paint too.

Keep on crafting and pinning!
xoxo,
Marissa

1 comment:

  1. That turned out super cute! You should post a picture of your diaper cake too b/c that was awesome.

    Walmart is a great place to get new Mason or Ball jars with lids. I think you get 12 for like 8 bucks. Super cheap.

    ReplyDelete