Pages

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Week 6: House Warming Gift!

Hello everyone!  Sorry it is now Thursday and I am just posting the blog for Week 6, when I made this last Friday...  But I will try my darnest to get Week 7 up on time :)  I do have a quick and easy project in mind already :)  I also have a back up plan too, so we should be good to go!!!

So with all of this in mind, here we go on this week's pin :)

The is the reason why I love Pinterest:  I can find pins for anything!  I really like that I can find fun and create ways to give gifts thanks to Pinterest.  Last Saturday I had a house warming/ meet the new puppy party for Scott's brother and future sister in law (who actually introduced me to Pinterest!  Thanks Sarah!).  Since Andrew and Sarah had already been living together and were moving into a bigger space, I wanted to be creative with what I got them besides the regular ole' bottle of wine.  I wanted a cute twist.  Enter Pinterest.  Here are the pins that inspired the latest project!

http://pinterest.com/pin/239503501/











And... http://pinterest.com/pin/239500461/












Now that I had these pictures in my head, I had to figure out where to get these things.  While I wasn't even thinking twice about this, I found some tea towels (pack of 4) and wooden utensils (pack of 3) at IKEA for $3.49 each!!!   I also know they both LOVE wine, so I found a Houdini wine stopper/pourer at Target for $4.  I also got the pooch a chewing bone and some puppy biscuits.  Now, if these use these items again or not, at least the presentation was cute :)   To assemble, I used rubber bands and a bow for presentation.  EASY!!!

Next came the assembly.   I couldn't find blogs on how to make these, but I figured it really couldn't be too hard.  I figured if I could make a diaper cake and that stork, I could make this.

First I decided which tea towel I wanted to use to wrap the bottle in.  I centered the bottle in the towel and then brought the edges up and played around with how i wanted the top to look.  Once I got that figured out, enter the rubber bands.  I just took a small/medium sized one and wrapped it around the top a couple of times and made sure the towel fell over the rubber band.

Next, I stacked the remaining towels to see what pattern combination I liked best and what pattern I wanted to show the most.  I really just played around with stacking and folding to come up with this.  Sarah is slightly obsessed with stripes, so I wanted that to be my towel that would be on top of the other 2. 

When I folded the towels, I kept the crease on the bottom and on the inside towards the wine bottle, so that when I stuck in the utensiles, they would have somewhere to hang out and not fall through incase the final rubber band broke or the ribbon came undone.

Once I got the towels in an order I liked, I wrapped them around the wine bottle.  Now, I'm sure you could get real fancy with hiding seams and what not, but the towels were so thick because of stacking and folding, I just said screw it, and lined the overlap up in the back and had the towel fall over it best I could.  I also had a larger rubber band ready and just placed it on one of the stripes. 

Next I started to put in the utensiles, which was easy with the rubber band already holding everything together.

Fianlly, I wrapped a ribbon around the whole thing.

This may seem like a bunch of steps, but it was super easy and I think took me 30 mins and that was with stopping to take pictures.  I'd say if you can find the materials easily and cheaply, this is a project you should go for :)

2 comments:

  1. Nice, I LOVE IT! Look how creative you are, Miss :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Andrea!!! But truthfully, I'm not the creative one, the original bloggers/pinners are. I just like to do a twist ;)

    ReplyDelete