Pages

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Week 13: Christmas Window Display

Hi all!

While I know that it isn't even Turkey Day yet, I did do some Xmas decorating this past weekend.  I felt I was justified because I wouldn't have been able to decorate our window once the Christmas tree went up, so I had to start now (or at least this is how I reasoned it out to Scott.  It had nothing to do with the fact I bought a whole bunch of cheap Xmas stuff at IKEA and Michael's...).

I have been wanting to do some kind of window treatment for our arched window for the (almost) whole year we have lived here, but I didn't know what to do.  When I saw my inspiration pin, I knew I could either use the Command hooks or tape to keep that sucker up and I didn't need to have a curtain rod to hang the garland.

Here are a couple of alternatives I could have gone with, or you could go with too.  If you hate garland, you can always just tape the ribbons to the wall or you could tie the ribbon around a curtain rod (again, if you have one).  Also, I would imagine if you have a curtain rod, you can just wrap the garland around the rod or tape it to the rod.  All that being said, onto the pictures!

Inspiration Pin- http://pinterest.com/pin/191191946650241636/


My materials:
Ornaments
Various Ribbon and Twine
Big Red Bow
Garland
Command Strips
Tape


First, I made sure my 9 ft would actually fit around the arch, and it did (I did measure before hand).  If you have too much garland, you can double the garland over or cut to where appropriate.  I also stuck my mini- Command strips up and let those sit for the suggested hour while I was prepping my garland.  Now, I would highly suggest using the regular size strips because they can hold up more weight (not that this is particularly heavy, but I guess each of these mini strips only hold up to 1/2 pound each and you won't have to use tape to also hold this project up like I did when it started to fall.  I only got the minis because Michael's didn't have the full size ones in the check out line area and I really didn't feel like making a second trip to Target).



Next I "fluffed" the garland so the branches were separated and the garland looked full.  Next I determined my halfway point wrapped my bow around a branch.  I originally started planning out the garland and the length of the ribbons on the floor, but with the dog passing threw this became impossible, so I hung the garland and worked from there.  Considering I couldn't get the correct arch in the amount of room I had anyway, this worked just fine.



The rest was really easy.  I just picked out my ornaments and held up the length of ribbon or twine I thought would look nice.  I wanted to add more ornaments, but Scott did think it would start to look cluttered considering I used some larger ornaments.

Here is the finished product (I think it came out real cute!):


By the way, the Michael's near me had grab bags for $2 each.  Here is everything I got in my 2 bags (I also got a 3 pack of 8x10" canvas flat panels not pictured).  30 flowers, a fall wreath, 2 halloween sticker books, a 2 pack of candles, a fall bow, and 2 sets of scented pine cones.


I estimated the retail value to $125.50 (most of the items still had the original tags on them) and I spent $4.00!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment