Pages

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Week 14: Holiday Sangria

Hi all!

I don't know about anyone else, but during the holidays I like to meet up with my friends and have some lovely drinks and good conversation.  This past Saturday I got the chance to hang out with my friends and I brought over a nice holiday sangria that I found on Pinterest (actually, I have at least 3 sangria recipes I want to try from there, but this one was specifically called holiday sangria and it had a bunch of fall-ish ingredients).  I had no idea making sangria was so easy.  Throw a whole bunch of ingredients together and let sit over night or so.

Inspiration Pin-
http://pinterest.com/pin/191191946650321988/


Here is the website I got the recipe from.  And honestly, I picked this sangria because the website is Deep South Dish, and honestly, southerners can cook, so why wouldn't I pick this sangria!  This site also has a bunch of other good drink recipes I want to try too.

Ok, so straight from the website, here are your ingredients:

1 bottle (750 ml) of red zinfandel (note: I did not use a red zin.  I used Rene Barbier Mediterranean Red.  For you Denver/Boulder peeps, the lovely liquor store attendant told me this is the Red wine they have used at The Med for their house red and also their red sangria.  I've had The Med's sangria.  I was SOLD and it was $5.99 and cheaper than the red zin I picked out that was $7.99)
4 cups of Cranberry Juice (I used Ocean Spray regular cranberry juice)
2 cups of POM Wonderful pomegranate juice
1 cup of Orange Juice (I used Tropicana no pulp)
3/4 cup of simple syrup (note: I had no clue how to make this and googled it.  I did the 2:1 ratio of 2 parts sugar to 1 part water and I did the boiling method; more on that later.  Apparently you can also buy simple syrup)
1 apple (I used Honeycrisp), unpeeled, cored, quartered, and sliced thin (I don't read directions and I peeled my apple).
1 orange, halved and sliced thin
1 lemon, halved and sliced thin
1/2 cup fresh cranberries (not pictured)
1/4 cup pomegranate seeds

Optional for after the sangria is made:
San Pellegrino Sparkling Water (I bought the Target version)



Let me start by saying this.  If you missed the memo like I did about needing the simple syrup (again because I apparently choose not to read), it is easy to make.  Before I started anything else, I made the simple syrup.  I brought my water to a boil and then poured in the sugar.  And then you stir until the sugar is completely dissolved.  Take off the heat and let it cool.  While it's cooling...

Prep your fruit.  Heck, if you want to get fancy go ahead and pre-measure your liquids.  Once you're ready, combine all of your ingredients in a large storage container (it would also be useful if this is also the same container you're going to use to serve your sangria).  Stir your sangria and taste and adjust to your liking (I found this is definitely on the sweeter side.  If you like a drier sangria, I'd say add some more wine or cranberry juice).  Chill 4 hours or overnight (I let mine sit for 16 hours.  I did try it when I first got up (so 8 hours) and it did taste really good, but I think the 16 hours was real nice).  Stir before serving and transfer to your serving container if you did not prep in the serving container.


The lovely people on Deep South Dish also say to use tongs to get out the fruit and put in each glass, with ice, pour the sangria and leave some room for your sparkling water.  I would say if you want to make this sangria in the summer, you really don't need the cranberry fruit or the pomegranate seeds since the fruit itself doesn't really add the the sangria or absorb the sangria.  However, if you're like me and like to eat the fruit, it is very tasty in general.  They also tell you on the website that the flavor is really coming from the juices, so you can use red or white wine.  They suggest cabernet sauvignon, merlot, rioja, shiraz, or beaujolais.

Here is my final product:

Final verdict: MAKE THIS!!!  This is actually really good to do at the holidays because all of the juices I used were on sale at Target, and most of the fruit was too.



No comments:

Post a Comment